What is Build to Rent?
Build to Rent is to build homes for rent, rather than for sale. Build to Rent is fast becoming an established sector in the UK housing market to meet demand for high-quality, well-managed rental housing.
Build to Rent’s two-pronged approach – to provide an unparalleled tenancy experience, as well as ensuring the location and neighbourhood is prosperous and integrated – means that Build to Rent not only builds houses, but communities as well.
The Build to Rent model provides an enhanced experience for tenants including:
- Good quality homes aimed at general or targeted demographics, with longer term tenancies and predictable rents. They are mainly in larger towns and cities, and often situated near good public transport interchanges.
- Communal facilities and social activities –residents will typically have access to generous communal facilities, such as resident lounges, gyms, roof terraces, guest rooms to hire and social activities.
- Integrated, scheme-wide property management. Most developments will have staff on-site and they will be operating 24/7 to provide security and support.
- Services – Build to Rent providers innovate in service delivery. Many are offering superfast broadband, helpful concierges, storage lockers and bike parking, and additional services such as car hire, dry cleaning, childcare, etc.
Build to Rent anchors on a thriving location with good local amenities and access to jobs, services and infrastructure. For investors, the surrounding neighbourhood is linked to investment gains whilst for providers it is linked to maintaining occupancy. This includes prioritising the provision of trees and green spaces, walking and cycling infrastructure, a strong local economy with diverse retail offerings and access to transport links.
The Build to Rent Map
The quarterly BPF Build to Rent map plots build to rent schemes across the UK aimed at the institutional investment market.
- There are now 152,071 build-to-rent homes in the UK, including both London and the regions, of which 40,181 are complete, 35,415 under construction and 75,475 in planning
- In London, there are a total of 76,408 units
- Outside London, there are 75,663 units
Click on the places plotted on the map to find out more about each development, including the developer and the number of units. This research is produced by Savills for the BPF and draws on data from Molior.